Noida-based National Fertilizers Limited (NFL), a central Public Sector Undertaking, and country’s leading fertilizers manufacturer, is promoting warli painting.The paintings, done by a few artists who were rendered jobless in the last few months, now adorn its outer wall of the Sector 24 Noida head office.
- Maharashtra is known for its Warli folk paintings. Warli is the name of the largest tribe found on the northern outskirts of Mumbai, in Western India.
- Despite being in such close proximity of the largest metropolis in India, Warli tribesmen shun all influences of modern urbanization.
- Warli Art was first discovered in the early seventies. While there are no records of the exact origins of this art, its roots may be traced to as early as the 10th century A.D. Warli is the vivid expression of daily and social events of the Warli tribe of Maharashtra, used by them to embellish the walls of village houses.
- Warli painting is a style of tribal art mostly created by the people from the North Sahyadri Range in Maharashtra.
- The Warli culture is centered on the concept of nature and its elements are often focal points depicted in the painting.Women are mainly engaged in the creation of these paintings.
- These paintings do not depict mythological characters or images of deities, but depict social life.Images of human beings and animals, along with scenes from daily life are created in a loose rhythmic pattern.
- Painted white on mud walls, they are pretty close to pre-historic cave paintings in execution and usually depict scenes of human figures engaged in activities like hunting, dancing, sowing and harvesting.
- These rudimentary wall paintings use a set of basic geometric shapes: a circle, a triangle, and a square for depiction.
- They can be recognized by the fact that they are painted on an austere mud base using one color, white, with occasional dots in red and yellow. This colour is obtained from grounding rice into white powder.
- n Warli paintings it is rare to see a straight line. A series of dots and dashes make one line. The artists have recently started to draw straight lines in their paintings.