India joins Global Partnership on Artificial Intelligence (GPAI) as a founding member to support the responsible and human-centric development and use of Artificial Intelligence.
What is GPAI?
GPAI is an international and multi-stakeholder initiative to guide the responsible development and use of AI, grounded in human rights, inclusion, diversity, innovation, and economic growth.
This is a first initiative of its kind to evolve better understanding of the challenges and opportunities around AI using the experience and diversity of participating countries, an official statement said.
The GPAI will bring together experts from industry, government, civil society and academia to conduct research and pilot projects on AI.
Its objective, as set out by founding members Australia, Canada, the European Union, France, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, New Zealand, Singapore, Slovenia, the United Kingdom and the United States, is to bridge the gap between theory and practice on AI policy
To achieve this goal, the initiative will look to bridge the gap between theory and practice on AI by supporting cutting-edge research and applied activities on AI-related priorities.
GPAI will be supported by a Secretariat, to be hosted by Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) in Paris, as well as by two Centers of Expertise- one each in Montreal and Paris.
In collaboration with partners and international organisations, GPAI will bring together leading experts from industry, civil society, governments, and academia to collaborate to promote responsible evolution of AI and will also evolve methodologies to show how AI can be leveraged to better respond to the present global crisis around Covid-19
This launch crowns two years of work by the French digital diplomacy and Canadian partners in order to implement the appeal made in the Canada-France Statement on AI of June 2018.
The creation of an International Panel on Artificial Intelligence announced by the Right Honourable Justin Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada, and Emmanuel Macron, President of the French Republic, prior to the 2018 G7 Summit, is a key outcome of the Canada-France Statement on AI.
In August 2019, during the G7 Summit in Biarritz, Heads of States and Governments acknowledge the Global Partnership on Artificial Intelligence (GPAI) proposed by Canada and France in the Biarritz Strategy for an Open, Free and Secure Digital Transformation.
Importance for India:
India has recently launched National AI Strategy and National AI Portal and have also started leveraging AI across various sectors such as education, agriculture, healthcare, e-commerce, finance, telecommunications, etc. with inclusion and empowerment of human being approach by supplementing growth and development. By joining GPAI as a founding member, India will actively participate in the global development of Artificial Intelligence, leveraging upon its experience around use of digital technologies for inclusive growth.
What is Artificial Intelligence?
According to the father of Artificial Intelligence John McCarthy, it is “The science and engineering of making intelligent machines, especially intelligent computer programs”.
Artificial Intelligence is a way of making a computer, a computer-controlled robot, or a software think intelligently, in the similar manner the intelligent humans think.
AI is accomplished by studying how human brain thinks, and how humans learn, decide, and work while trying to solve a problem, and then using the outcomes of this study as a basis of developing intelligent software and systems.
- Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare: Companies are applying machine learning to make better and faster diagnoses than humans. AI is a study realized to emulate human intelligence into computer technology that could assist both, the doctor and the patients in the following ways:
- By providing a laboratory for the examination, representation and cataloguing medical information
- By devising novel tool to support decision making and research
- By integrating activities in medical, software and cognitive sciences
- By offering a content rich discipline for the future scientific medical communities.
- Artificial Intelligence in business: Robotic process automation is being applied to highly repetitive tasks normally performed by humans. Machine learning algorithms are being integrated into analytics and CRM (Customer relationship management) platforms to uncover information on how to better serve customers.
- AI in education: It automates grading, giving educators more time. It can also assess students and adapt to their needs, helping them work at their own pace.
- AI in Autonomous vehicles: Just like humans, self-driving cars need to have sensors to understand the world around them and a brain to collect, processes and choose specific actions based on information gathered. Autonomous vehicles are with advanced tool to gather information, including long range radar, cameras, and LIDAR.
- AI for robotics will allow us to address the challenges in taking care of an aging population and allow much longer independence. It will drastically reduce, may be even bring down traffic accidents and deaths, as well as enable disaster response for dangerous situations for example the nuclear meltdown at the fukushima power plant.
AI plays crucial role in strategic games such as chess, poker, tic-tac-toe, etc., where machine can think of large number of possible positions based on heuristic knowledge.
- Natural Language Processing
It is possible to interact with the computer that understands natural language spoken by humans.