General Studies 4 Paper Syllabus for UPSC Civil Services Mains
• Ethics and Human Interface: Essence, determinants and consequences of Ethics in human actions;
dimensions of ethics; ethics in private and public relationships. Human Values – lessons from the
lives and teachings of great leaders, reformers and administrators; role of family, society and
educational institutions in inculcating values.
• Attitude: content, structure, function; its influence and relation with thought and behaviour; moral and
political attitudes; social influence and persuasion.
• Aptitude and foundational values for Civil Service , integrity, impartiality and non-partisanship,
objectivity, dedication to public service, empathy, tolerance and compassion towards the weaker sections.
• Emotional intelligence-concepts, and their utilities and application in administration and governance.
• Contributions of moral thinkers and philosophers from India and world.
• Public/Civil service values and Ethics in Public administration: Status and problems; ethical concerns
and dilemmas in government and private institutions; laws, rules, regulations and conscience as
sources of ethical guidance; accountability and ethical governance; strengthening of ethical and moral
values in governance; ethical issues in international relations and funding; corporate governance.
• Probity in Governance: Concept of public service; Philosophical basis of governance and probity;
Information sharing and transparency in government, Right to Information, Codes of Ethics, Codes of
Conduct, Citizen’s Charters, Work culture, Quality of service delivery, Utilization of public funds,
challenges of corruption.
• Case Studies on above issues.
Reference Books for General Studies Paper 4
- Lexicon for Ethics by Chronicle.
- Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude by Nanda Kishore and Santhosh Ajmera.
- Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude by by M Karthikeyan
- Mains General Studies Paper 4 Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude by Arihant Experts.
- 4rth Report of 2nd ARC.
- Probity in Governance – Law Ministry.
- Corporate Governance – Ministry of Corporate Affairs.
- Emotional Intelligence in Bureaucracies.